Monday, March 27, 2023

Flowers Blooming Now March 27, 2023

 The 2 pictures below are Perl d'Or.  She sends up her blooms in sprays.  They are tiny little blooms, like a sweetheart rose.


This is the only La Marne rose that remains of the beautiful row of La Marnes that I used to have.  Sadly, all the others died.  It could have been drought or it could have been voles.  From me, they got fertilizer and fungicide and pruning and compost and mulch.  I cheerfully refuse to take the blame for their demise.   
Below, this is one of the first Tall Winecups to bloom.  Talk about a heavy reseeder.  If they have even the slightest encouragement (semi-regular irrigation) they will take over a garden.  But they are pretty in a mass.
Below, the first of the Ox Eye daisies.  I can remember when the Ox Eyes were everywhere - in every bed in every garden.  Over the years they have dwindled as I encouraged other plants in their stead. And the drought last summer really knocked them back as well.  But I will still have a great showing this spring. 
This is Passalong Pink verbena.  I am watching this Verbena with a lot of interest to see how well it performs this spring and summer.  I was kind of expecting it to look more ready to climb over and amongst everything, like it was at the end of fall last year.  It's early in the season, but it had spread so much last year that I thought there would be rooted pieces all through the beds. 
This is a bud of a Kordana miniature rose.
Perhaps it's hard to see in this picture, but this Peggy Martin rose is completely covered in buds.  Peggy is a once-blooming rose, so this is about to be her time!!  And it will be amazing.  But Peggy, can't you slow your roll?  I want you to be blooming for the Crawfish Boil in April.  I see this rose trained on many fences in The Heights in Houston.  It's become quite ubiquitous.  Peggy Martin canes are extremely easy to train because they are so soft.  Anyone can have success with this rose.  And you never have to feel bad about cutting away a huge cane because she sends out so many of them.  I assume that's why it has become so popular.   

No comments:

Post a Comment