Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Day at the Farm September 8, 2012


This is Star of the Republic rose.  In my opinion it is not a star.  It is a dud.  It grows these long ungainly canes with a few flowers on the ends.  Awkward and doesn't bloom much.  The flowers smell great, though.  I don't recommend it, I consider it a waste of space.  I feel really bad yanking up a rose and letting it die, but I'm considering it.

Went to Burton for one day.  Arrived Thursday evening and left on Saturday morning early to meet my sisters, my mom and my daughter at the Houstonian for massages.  My father got us all gift certificates for our birthdays - last year! We are only just now using them!  Went to dinner with my son Saturday evening - Oxheart - named one of the 10 best new restaurants in the country.  It's a little hole in the wall right next to The Last Concert. Interesting menu.
  • Pulled up more overgrown zinnias, spread more zinnia seeds.
  • Pulled weeds in the Orchard. 
  • Watered my newly planted Peggy Martin rose, American Beauty rose, and Banana Shrub.
  • Watered and fertilized my shrubs. 
  • Deadheaded zinnias.
  • My okra are starting to bloom.
  • The Candida Rain Lilies are blooming very prettily.
  • Watered the neglected Ballerina rose that is barely hanging on, poor girl.
  • Napped.
  • Trimmed the wisteria on the big arbor. 
  • Too hot to do much of anything.  The weather turned gorgeous over the weekend, but I missed it, I was already back in Houston.  

No comments:

Post a Comment