Sunday, September 23, 2012

Beautyberries Growing Wild in the Woods - September 17, 2012

 Beautyberry grows everywhere wild in our woods.   The shrubs are so striking when the berries are flaming purple at the end of summer and throughout fall.  They can be pruned in order to achieve a more compact shape.  I read in the Chronicle that jelly can be made from the berries.  I found that to be a very surprising fact. I have never noticed the birds or the deer eating the berries much less heard anything about them being edible by humans.  If animals liked these berries it would be a feast fit for a king around here! 

New varieties of Beautyberry have been developed - there are pink ones and white ones and various shades of purple.  But I'm lucky to have the Texas native growing wild right here on my property!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment