Monday, July 22, 2013

A Weekend at the Farm July 20 - 21, 2013

Above, capturing rain in a half rain barrel.

Friday night birthday party in Houston for Beth's 85 birthday.  Saturday morning to the farm. Nancy and Lisa came out and we went to Hot Nights Cool Tunes on Saturday night.

  • Saturday morning I cleaned the guest bathroom, shook out the rugs, vacuumed the living room, guest bedroom, and kitchen, and mopped the kitchen and living room.
  • Rained on Saturday lightly, and it rained really hard on Sunday.  Wonderful!  Sat on the porch and watched the rain both days.
  • Swam briefly on Sunday.  The water felt wonderful because of all the rain.  
  • On Sunday I pulled weeds.  I pulled weeds in the Star Garden and the Orchard all day long.
  • Trimmed the vegetation along the boardwalk where it was growing over the walkways.
  • My husband attached some PVC pipe to the drip line of the air conditioning units so that it drips into a half rain barrel.  He spray painted it brown so that it looks very nice.  Now there is a steady drip of water for the birds.  Naturally, I thought of a way to make it even more perfect - I suggested that he put a stick across the middle of the rain barrel so that the birds can stand on the perch underneath the drip. He really appreciated my input...
  • Fertilized during the rain shower with organic fertilizer that smells like chicken manure.  I've been waiting for rain so that my fertilizer would partially disintegrate when I laid it down.  Not necessary, but helpful.
  • I pulled up all the parsley in the Orchard.  It had all gone to seed.  I threw the seed on the ground and stacked up the parsley stalks.  I'll haul it the the burn pile next time I go. 
  • I cut back the Nicotiana in the Star Garden.  It had all gone to seed.  The little plantlets at the base of the stalks are already growing. 
  • The hurricane lilies are just beginning to peek out of the ground!  They remind me of my Grandma.  
  • The gingers are beginning to bloom.  They will be so pretty.  The Mexicali Rose is really beginning to spread along the Boardwalk.  I'm very excited about the Mexicali Rose!   


No comments:

Post a Comment