Monday, July 15, 2013

Gorgeous Artichokes July 14, 2013

I am in love!  Artichokes make a stunning flower!  I purchased three small plants in the spring and stuck them in the ground in the Orchard.  I haven't fertilized or paid any attention to them.  One of them died.  The other two have hung on with no attention.  I noticed a couple of weekends ago that I had an artichoke, but it was small, so I was watching it.  Last weekend, again, I decided to let it keep growing and get larger.  And this weekend I saw that it was blooming.  Obviously I let it go too long.  My mistake was expecting it to get as large as the ones in the grocery store.  Home grown vegetables never get as big or look as pretty as grocery store vegetables.

About 4 years ago I planted some artichokes from seed.  They actually did well, and I got some artichoke flower heads, but the plants sort of disappeared even though they were a perennial variety.  I am sold on these beautiful plants.  I'm going to grow a big crop of them.  The foliage is striking and the flower heads are stunning.








No comments:

Post a Comment