Monday, July 8, 2013

Cockscomb July 8, 2013

 Last year I seeded the Vegetable Garden with several varieties of Cockscomb.  But I had no luck with it.  This year a couple of seeds came back.  I have two plants, and I am very proud of them!  These plants have beautiful and unusual flower.  The one below is branching very well, and the flower color is gorgeous.  I also have a plant with pink flowers growing, two photos of it are at the end.
Cockscomb is an old fashioned plant.  Now that I have established a couple of plants, I will get lots of them in the future.  They are excellent reseeders, but they will morph into "princes feathers" when plants of more than one color are grown near each other.  In other words the fantabulous heads that they make will stop producing in future years because they cross pollinate.  So that is one drawback to having two colors in one garden.







No comments:

Post a Comment