Tuesday, February 21, 2017

New Growth February 20, 2017


These are some randomly selected photos of new growth in my garden.  I am a lover of winter because of this very phenomenon right ere:  I love to see all the plants emerging after winter.  I watch every single change with the greatest of interest and endless fascination.

Below, this is my Ehamanii coming up.  The stalks will reach 6 feet tall with hot pink dangling flowers at the top. 
Below, this is kind of cheating because iris are not deciduous.  These Clyde Redmond iris are always green.  But they really stand out amongst all the brown around them.

Below, these are my Indigo Spires salvia coming up from the roots surrounded by Cleome seedlings (which I should thin out, but I never have the heart to pull up seedlings). There is also a blue flowered Althea in this bed that has begun to just barely leaf out but you can't see it in this picture.  I dug up three or four salvia clumps out of this bed a few weeks ago and moved them to the Long Border.  They have been leaning into the paths for years and they needed to be moved, I finally did it.




Below, this is Homestead Purple Verbena.  It is always green as far as I can tell, maybe we just haven't had a harsh enough winter to kill it back.  I have this growing everywhere thanks to my efforts all winter long to transplant from unwanted places to "wanted" places.  The photo below is one of the buds.  They are so cute!



Below, this is like pineapple sage but it is peach sage coming up in my Kitchen Herb Garden.  I'm happy about this one because sometimes this does not come back.  It is a tender perennial for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment