Friday, March 20, 2020

African Hostas March 20, 2020

This is one bed where I have African Hostas planted.  They multiply so quickly, and they are so useful as front of the border plants, that I have them planted in 10 beds (or thereabouts).  I love them.  They go dormant in the winter.  When they come up in the spring they are green with brown speckles of the leaves.  Really cute.  They throw up a flower, but it is insignificant.  Although, when massed the flowers look pretty cute and definitely make more of a statement.  They grow best in shade, but I also have them in sunny spots, and they do just fine.
 Below, since this bed is in the Medicine Garden, in keeping with the spirit of the place, I have seeded the bed with Valerian.  You can see the little seedlings coming up.  To the left is an older Valerian plant.
 Below, you can see the little liver-colored spots on the new leaves as well as the little flowers they send up.


No comments:

Post a Comment