Wednesday, October 7, 2020

At the Farm During the Pandemic September 28 - October 6, 2020

 

One of our Airbnb guests painted this picture of our house and left it for us as a gift.  A random act of kindness!  Bert and I were delighted.

  • Monday.  A cold morning, fall is in the air.  It's so beautiful right now.
  • Before work I hand watered in the Greenhouse Gardens.  
  • Many of my Vegetable seedlings have emerged.  As I always write, it gives me a little thrill every time when I see seedlings emerge.  Such a miracle.
  • I sowed Tickseed all along the Hot Border amongst the Rudbeckia Maxima, spider lilies, Senna tree and day lilies.  If all goes well, that border will be absolutely beautiful in the spring.  Watered them in with my hand sprinkler.  A few more hand-waterings and they should be good to go all winter.
  • After work I prepped a 4x4 bed in the Vegetable garden with humus and manure.  I sowed some lettuces, a row of parsnips, a few carrots, a few Swiss chard and a few Zeolite calendulas.
  • Tuesday.  Even cooler than yesterday.  And sunny.  So beautiful.
  • Before work I watered my Fortune's Double, Zepherine Drouhin  and Ballerinas by hand.
  • I also watered the dry part of the Vegetable Garden and the Hot Border with my watering can.
  •  During lunch I seeded Johnny Jump Up seeds in the Orchard and in the front bed.
  • After work I drove around the property looking at the wonderful native grasses that are beginning to throw out their seed heads.  I have many varieties, and I am so frustrated that I don't know all their names.  I immediately afterword went to the computer looking for pictures to identify them.  I know one of the varieties is switchgrass (which is a a great native), but the rest - I don't know except for little bluestem.  That one is easy to identify.
  • Wednesday.  Worked.
  • I sowed some Zeolite calenduals in one of my black buckets during lunch.
  • Pulled up a big zinnia growing under the old dead tree in the Rose Garden.  I will be sowing seeds there soon.
  • Watered in the Hot Border.
  • Watered in the dry part of the Orchard where I sowed Johnny Jump Ups yesterday.
  • Watered some of my new lantanas.
  • Thursday.  Worked.
  • I set out my sprinklers in the Rose Garden and the Star Garden in preparation for being gone for 4 days (Airbnb guests arrive on Friday and exit on Tuesday).
  • I watered in the Orchard where I sowed seeds. 
  • Watered my new plants.
  • Headed back to Houston after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment