Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Luffa July 20, 2021

 I always thought luffa sponges came from the sea until I was leafing through a seed catalogue and came upon luffa seeds for sale.  I was so surprised.  I planted a couple seeds last spring.  So far, I have only seen flowers and flower buds, no gourds have formed.  It's just a little fun experiment.  Frankly, I expect the nematodes to weaken and kill the vine long before I ever get a luffa. They need a long growing season which we have here in Texas, but as I just wrote, nematodes ruin everything in my garden that has a long growing season.  It's certainly a floriferous vine!  Apparently the gourds are long and slender, and if you let them dry on the vine the insides forms the "sponge".  You just peel off the skin and there you have it - a luffa sponge.





It's crawling all over my asparagus, but I don't mind.



 .    

No comments:

Post a Comment