Thursday, August 5, 2021

Some Flowers Blooming This Morning in the Gardens August 5, 2021

 This is Beverley rose.  When it is opens the edges of each petal are dark pink and the centers of the petals are light pink.  Very pretty, and becoming a very popular rose.  Strong rose scent.

This is Pirates Pearl.  It is always in bloom.  I have it growing everywhere, and it reseeds.
This is a relatively new lantana with a rounded form, very different form compared to New Gold lantana.  This is one of the Bandana lantanas.  Not as vigorous.  This is its second year in my garden, not sure I'm sold on it although the color varieties are cool.
Another lantana, year two and still small.  It is  different color also in the Bandana series.
Duchess de Brabant rose.
White Pillar althea.
Obedient Plant
Butterfly weed.  I have a lot of this in the Star Garden.  A few are new plants, but most of it came up from last year's seed and several plants made it through the winter including the hard February freeze.
A fabulous althea called Strawberry Smoothie.  An excellent bloomer.
Reliable old cannas.
This is David Verity cuphea.  This cuphea is winter hardy.  The flowers are smaller than cigar plant which I also have growing in my gardens, Cigar Plant is not a great bloomer, and it only blooms for me in the fall.
Another canna.  I bought this at one of the big box stores, and it's one of my steadiest bloomers.  
Texas Hot Pink phlox and rudbeckia Goldsturm
Zinnias are blooming everywhere, but I only took pictures of a couple of them.

Obedient plant
Red shrimp plant, most years I get spectacular displays but so far not much.  It took a hit in the freeze.  I'm expecting a good show in the fall this year.
White coral vine in the Star Garden just beginning its bloom time.  The coral vine in the Rose Garden didn't come back this year.  Very strange.  I'm glad I didn't lose this one.  The white color is rare and not easy to find in nurseries.
Another canna.  Gorgeous.
Another photo of Obedient Plant, This time with their fantastic 'false dragonhead' tops on full display.
Heliopsis, a new favorite of mine.  Solid blooms for months.

John Fannick phlox, also a long bloom time.  I didn't realize until this year how long phlox blooms.  I am going to buy more next spring.
Another lantana, also Bandana.

This is castor.  Pretty round red spiny seed pods.
Mystic Spires salvia
Another new favorite of mine - Fruity Pebbles lantana with the gorgeous purple berry-like seed heads
Grandpa Ott morning glory
Coneflower
Wild onion
Thryallis - this shrub throws off a lot of seeds and I have lots of seedlings around the mother plants.  This shrub has to be cut to the ground in late winter, so it can be a pain if you end up with too many.



No comments:

Post a Comment