Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Shade Garden in August 8.19.21

 Below, gingers and snakeroot.  Snakeroot blooms in the fall.


Below, coralberry (a native with purple berries - this grows in the woods on our place), ferns, snakeroot, azaleas, sweetspire

Ferns - I think ferns are the poster child for a woodland garden.  I love them.  They look so cool and pretty and inviting.
Below, beautyberry, acuba, and ferns.  I have many beautyberry shrubs growing in the Shade Garden.  I didn't plant any of them.  They grow wild on our property and they just showed up in here.  They grow into a large shrub quickly.  The berries are just beginning to turn purple in the garden but they are already completely purple along the trails.  
Chinese Bloodroot, snakeroot, toadlily, and Japanese Acuba

This white butterfly ginger growing here in the Shade Garden is really interesting.  I don't recall planting it.  I thought I only had the peach colored gingers in this garden.  But this season for the first time, it bloomed.

Impatiens, ferns, Giant Ligularia, camellia, gingers

Sawtoothed Japanese Aucuba - I bought 2 of these many years ago.  They had very large red berries on them.  The nursery should have informed me that you need a male and a female to get the red berries each year.  I've never gotten another red berry.  And I don't like them enough to try and find a male.  Very slow growers/
African Hostas and Illustris colocasia
Illustris Colocasia and snakeroot
African Hostas, spider lilies and Rudbeckia Maxiam

Red Turks Cap, snakeroot and purple stemmed colocasia (can't remember the name of it)
Sweetspire, holly fern (an evergreen fern) and Illustris colocasia
Ferns


No comments:

Post a Comment