Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Sweet Autumn Clematis August 3, 2021

 For southern gardeners who have always wished they could grow clematis, this variety is perfect for you.  It has no problems with our hot summers.  It has a delicious scent.  And the beautiful white color looks so cool and pretty in the evenings and early mornings.  The seed pods are really cool-looking too.  I will take a picture of them this year, I forgot last year.  This is a strong climber.  I planted it last year, and it has completely covered this trellis.  I planted one in Mom's Garden last spring.  That one is in bud but still small.  I have to watch the moonflower vine growing next to it like a hawk so that it doesn't overtake the clematis.  The moonflower vines are bullies because I have a lot of manure in the soil.  Since I just made the beds last winter the soil is very rich.






Below, I have a few hops vines growing up the same trellis.  I thought it had disappeared - I think our climate is too hot for hops.  But it came back pretty strong, I assume due to the cold weather we had last winter, but that is pure speculation.  I only got actual hops flowers the first year I planted it.  I never got a single one after that.



No comments:

Post a Comment