Saturday, October 30, 2021

A Day at the Farm October 29, 2021

 




Quick turnaround trip.  Up Friday during the lunch hour, right after Airbnb people left.  Back home on Saturday afternoon.  Max, Julia and friends stayed Saturday and Sunday and went to the Roundtop Antique Festival.

  • There had been heavy winds all week long, and all my Mexican sunflowers in the Rose Garden - 10 feet tall and in full bloom - had toppled over.  So I picked up all the branches that had sheared off the trunk and cut away everything that I could.  I ended up with a massive pile of debris.  
  • I pulled up 4 really big zinnias in the front bed - loaded with blooms, but with spotty crispy vegetation.  
  • We don't have any more guests scheduled through the rest of the year so it's time to clear out all the beds of the rest of the ageratum, etc.  Time to expose the bare soil so that the wildflower seeds can germinate and begin their winter growth.
  • I can't believe how many monarch butterflies are out in the Star Garden.  I suppose I'm supposed to feel a bit guilty because I guess they should be well on their way to wherever they winter, but I have all my tropical milkweed out there blooming, covered with larva and zillions of eggs soon to be hatched.  And all the snakeroot, white mist flower and blue mist flower are in full bloom right now.  Butterflies are crazy for that stuff. 
  • Saturday.  41 degrees outside.  Feels like winter.  Daylight savings is next weekend.  I don't like the shortened days.  All that darkness. 
  • Last week I dug up and potted some Swamp Sunflower for a native plant swap on Saturday afternoon that I am attending.  When it throws up its bloom stalk there is nothing but the stalk coming out of the dirt, no leaves along the bottom or anything.  So it doesn't look like anything good at all right now.  No one will probably want it.  So I walked around all the gardens looking for something else to take to the swap in addition to those.  But, I'm so stingy I didn't want to give anything away!  Well, I will write a glowing description of swamp sunflower on a sign, maybe then people will want it.
  • I put some pine needles down under one of my Mexican Buckeye trees in Mom's Garden where a big patch of weeds was emerging.  That will kill them.
  • Turned the compost piles.
  • Chatted with Max, Julia, Justin and Bella for a bit when they stopped by on their way to the Antique Fair.
  • I dug up 4 plugs of Wedelia where I have been trying to eradicate it, and I planted them under a rose in the Star Garden where I want a ground cover.  I'll probably live to regret it.
  • I watched butterflies for a long time.  And I watched a Monarch drying its wings that had just emerged from its chrysalis. 
  • Headed to the plant swap and then to Houston.



No comments:

Post a Comment