Friday, September 19, 2014

Cone Flower September 14, 2014

I've never had much luck growing echinacea.  I think it is because they have a tap root.  Voles love plants with tap roots - they are very delicious.  For this reason, I haven't been able to keep these lovely perennials growing year after year.  But 2014 has been a good year.  They are easy to sow from seed.  I found some young plants (they do not typically bloom the first season) in the Star Garden, and I remembered that I got some free seeds at the March Mart and sowed them in that spot.  I had completely forgotten.  The ones is my garden are the common wild variety, but there are some beautiful varieties for sale in nurseries these days.  I refrain from spending money on them because of my vole problem.







No comments:

Post a Comment