Monday, September 1, 2014

Weekend at the Farm August 30 - September 1, 2014

A stray Philippine Liliy blooming on the side of the house.  Their regular bloom time is early August.

Went to dinner on Friday night to celebrate Dad's birthday.  To the lake on Saturday and Sunday.  Left Sunday evening for Burton.  My husband went dove hunting.

Monday:
  • Watered around the pool area - the cassia tree, cigar plant, cannas, and lorapetalums.  It is so drought-y.  Very dry, very distressing.
  • Watered the Long Border.  
  • Watered half-dead plants in the Greenhouse Gardens.
  • Pulled weeds in the Greenhouse Gardens.
  • Pulled weeds in the Orchard.
  • Pulled up spent zinnias in the Star Garden.
  • Watered here and there in the Star Garden.
  • Poured off the mead into the secondary fermentation vessel. I had to wait for my husband to get to Burton because I couldn't get the lid off the Primary Fermentation Vessel.  I didn't have enough strength.  Talk about helpless.
  • Turned over the bed in front of the picket fence around the air conditioner.  I'm going to plant a shrub rose, I think.  Dug up as many of the Montbretias as I could find (tiny bulblets) and transferred them to a spot under the Harlequin Glorybower.  Transferred all the Paul Redman irises to various places in the Star Garden.   That bed looks better than it has in ages, and there is nothing in it.
  • Took a 3 hour nap.
  • August, especially the end of August, is the worst month in Texas.  As a gardener, I find it absolutely depressing.  When it is combined with a drought, it is beyond horrible.  I have lost some shrubs.  It always seems to be one step forward and one step back when there is drought.
  • My husband and I have been researching properties near Houston.  It would be great to find some land that fits the following criteria:  only have one house note, city water, near my children, grandchildren, and parents, garden where I live, near enough to commute every day.  Is that so hard to find?  We'll see.  I would be willing to sell Burton if we could move to the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment