Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Day at the Farm Feb 2, 2013


These bulbs are called Avalanche, also known as Seven Sisters.  The first blooms have begun to appear.  They are in a Narcissus group commonly referred to as Paper Whites.  Paper Whites bloom in February.  They have white or mostly white petals, and the flowers bloom in clusters.  All the Paper Whites that I grow (Erhlicheer, Grand Primo, Seven Sisters, and the "found" ones I dug out of someone's abandoned yard) have an intensely sweet scent.  That's why I call them Sweeties.

  • Arrived on Friday evening.
  • Planted a Mayhaw tree in the Orchard on Saturday morning.  Mayhaws are not good fruit to eat right off the tree, but they make very good jelly.  
  • Watered the roses I transplanted several weeks ago, the Olive tree I just planted, the Fringe Tree I just transplanted, and the Tangerine tree I just pulled out of a pot and planted in the ground.
  • Spring will be beautiful this year.  Everything is greening up.  Next weekend I will begin pruning the roses.  I have a lot of roses, so it is quite an event. 
  • Left Saturday morning for Austin to visit Will, Kim and the baby.  Set a date for the Crawfish Boil.
  • Came back to Burton on Sunday to drop off some groceries, headed home to Houston  to do Superbowl festivities.  


No comments:

Post a Comment