Monday, February 25, 2013

Work in the Vegetable Garden


I spent most of Saturday cleaning up the Vegetable Garden.  I raked the leaves from the oak trees that get trapped inside the fence.  I removed some old clay pots that were crumbling apart.  I transplanted over to the Medicine Garden some Tansy that had seeded in the paths .  Tansy is an herb.  The roots make a yellow dye.  I added lots and lots of organic fertilizer and then turned over all the beds except for one bed that is full of dill, and the two beds that are full of asparagus.   I planted 3 flats of French Marigolds - goodbye nematodes!  I sowed a row of Bright Lights Swiss Chard,  I planted 3 boxes with red potatoes. I sowed some Hyacinth bean vines along the fence (just because they are pretty).  I sowed some Edamame beans in the compost enclosure that is now empty (I've used up all the compost) - the soil should be incredibly rich in that spot. And I planted some Contender bush beans.  Finally I planted some Armenian Burpless Cucumber seeds along the chicken wire trellis.  If it freezes most of what I did will be killed - the potatoes and the Swiss Chard will be ok.  Being overly enthusiastice is risky.  I want more cold weather so my apple trees will break dormancy, and I want less cold weather so my marigolds won't die.  I'm conflicted.  Lastly, I sprayed the paths with herbicide to kill all the weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment