Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Weekend at the Farm Feb 23-24, 2013



These pretty white flowers are blooms on my Pearlbush.  Pearlbush blooms in early spring.

  • Worked most of Saturday in the Vegetable Garden.  I didn't grow anything at all in the Vegetable Garden this winter, so it was in pretty bad shape.  I raked leaves.  I turned all the beds, pulled out all the weeds.  I sprayed the paths with herbicide.  Finally, I planted 72 Durango Bolero French Marigolds.  The French marigolds are the ones that deter / eliminate nematodes.  If we have another freeze they will be done for, I'm afraid.  That will be my punishment for being too eager.
  • Also risky:  I sowed some seeds in the Vegetable Garden:  Edame in the compost enclosure, Contender bush green beans, Bright Lights Swiss Chard, Armenian Burpless Cucumbers, Hyacinth Beans along the fence in front to the compost pile, Mesclun, and red potatoes.  If it freezes I might have to start over with some of it.  It's a gamble since the last average freeze in Brenham is the second week of March.
  • Saw the first Giant Swallowtail of the season today.  And I saw the Tiger Swallowtail again.  So pretty!
  • Painted the picket fence around the air conditioning units.  It was looking a little shabby.  Green paint.  Didn't quite finish because I ran out of paint.
  • Mulched some roses, the Limelight Hydrangea, various beds in the Star Garden, around the Sangria Crinums, around the Buddleia I moved, the blue althea.
  • Dug up a Buddleia and moved it to a better spot in the Long Border.  It had grown from a random seed.  
  • Cut back the White Profusion Buddleia.  
  • Raked the Long Border.  It always gets covered in Pine Straw in the winter.  I dumped all the pine straw around the camellia in the Circle Drive.  Pine straw is acidic and camellias love acid.
  • Cut back the Mexican salvia and the Bat Face Cuphea and the miniature Barbado Cherry.
  • Filled the bed around the La Marne roses with soil and planted the Ox Blood Lilies that I rescued.  
  • Planted the alliums that I rescued.  I planted them in the Rose Garden.  Anything oniony or garlicky deters aphids.  
  • Planted the bearded irises that I rescued in the bed I worked on last weekend next to the dining room.  
  • And I divided the clump of Campernelles that I rescued and planted them in various places.  
  • Watered various plants - the irises that Janine Snapp gave me, my new roses, the baby altheas I rooted (some of them have leafed out - success!), the Southern Crabapple, the new Mayhaw.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Vegetable Garden, the driveway, and the Rose Garden.
  • Fertilized all the fruit trees in the Orchard.
  • Weeded, weeded, weeded - always.
  • Cleaned out the round bed with the African Hostas.  I will mulch next weekend. 
  • Trimmed back the Catmint in the Long Border and the Star Garden.
  • Absolutely everything is waking up.  It will be so beautiful this spring!     

No comments:

Post a Comment