Monday, February 11, 2013

Before and After Rose Pruning

This is Heritage rose before I pruned it.
This is Heritage after I pruned it.  Did I do it correctly?  I don't know!  Some of my cuts are fine, and some of them probably aren't.  It doesn't really matter.  Antique roses are very forgiving plants.  Cut away dead wood.  Cut away canes that are rubbing other canes.  Cut away canes that cross through the middle of the shrub.  Cut away the tiny and numerous little branches all along the bottom half of the plant - they shade the middle of the plant and end up dying anyway.  Cut off no more than 1/3 of the top of the shrub - the antiques are not like the modern hybrids.  They don't need to be cut back to knee height.   
Before - Graham Thomas
After - Graham Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment