Monday, February 11, 2013

Blue Bottles Starting to Bloom February 9, 2013

These little bulbs are Muscari Neglectum, affectionately called Blue Bottles.  They are just starting to
bloom.  What cheerful little "shoes and socks" plants!  They are great little bulbs to plant under roses (which is where I have all of mine planted).  They multiply really aggressively.  Normally I would love that because I have so much space to fill.  But Muscari just gets really crowded, and you have to separate the bulbs every few years or they stop blooming.  What I normally do is dig them up by the handful, find a good spot to plant them, dig a two inch deep trench with my spade, lay them like little soldiers in the trench, and then push some dirt over them.  It's quick, but every few years?  That's high maintenance.
Muscari are great bulbs to naturalize in a lawn.  The greenery doesn't get very tall.  And as soon as the weather gets hot, the greenery disappears.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment