Monday, February 18, 2013

Weekend at the Farm Feb 16-17, 2013

Everything I use to plant new plants:  a wheelbarrow, some compost, a shovel, the plants (which came in the mail with their root ball wrapped in plastic), fertilizer, and a watering can.  I dig the hole, fill the bottom of the hole with compost, sprinkle organic fertilizer in the hole, fill the hole with water so that the area gets very wet, and then I plant the tree or shrub or plant.

  •  Planted two Late Blooming Bottlebrush Buckeyes (Aesculus Parvifloar var. Serotina) that I bought from Woodlanders.  I planted them in one of the new beds I made a few weeks ago.  It is in a shady spot; these suckering shrubs don't like full sun.
  • Planted a Southern Crabapple tree (Malus angustifolia), also purchased from Woodlanders, in the Orchard.
  • Planted three Indian Pinks (Spigelia marylandica) from Woodlanders in one of the new beds I built last week.  It is adjacent to the bed where the Bottlebrush Buckeyes were planted.  The plants were packed in plastic bags and looked literally like balls of dirt.  There wasn't even a dead branch attached.  I saw which way the top of the plant was with two of them because there was just a hint of green, but I had to make an educated guess with the third plant.
  • Pruned the La Marne roses by cutting them with shrub shears.  I didn't do any careful pruning, I just cut them like a hedge of ligustrums.  These roses are so twiggy with so many eye buds that I figured it wouldn't harm them.
  • Watered the Mexican Plum, the two Mayhaws, and the Blueberry I potted up several weeks ago.
  • Watered the new roses:  Lady Banks, Veilchenblau, Peggy Martin, and American Beauty.
  • I stained the Boardwalk with a color called Redwood.  Very orangey-looking.  But, it's done.  It took me three hours of steady work sitting cross legged on the boardwalk.  I'm glad no one was around to see me walk up the hill when I was finished.  I could barely stand up straight.
  • I shredded leaves on Saturday and Sunday.  Bags and bags of shredded leaves.   I mulched the lower section of the Boardwalk gardens, some of the beds in the Shade Garden, some of the beds in the Circle Drive, and I laid down a layer of leaves in the new bed I'm building.  As I was working I recalled Max helping me one weekend fill a flowerbed with soil.  He told me it was hurting his back.  Well, of course it's hurting your back!  That's why they call it work.  Work hurts your back, hence the expression back-breaking work.  If it's not hurting your back it's something else - exercise or a vigorous past time.     
  • Planted some irises that Janine Snapp gave me.  I put most of them in my newest bed, and I planted 4 of them around the birdbath in the Star Garden.
  •  I dug up 2 Harlequin Glorybowers that had suckered off the mother plant.  I planted them in the Rose Garden in the new bed I made several weeks ago.  They will probably turn into problems because it will be difficult to pass through the path.
  • Mulched the Columbine in the Infinity Garden.  
  • Fertilized various plants with liquid fertilizer.
  • What a beautiful weekend!  I was outside every moment of it.
  • My husband and I moved the guest bedroom mattress into the living room in front of the fire place and slept in front of the fire on Saturday night.
  • I saw a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly today.  So pretty!  Only the second I have ever seen in Burton.
  • Everything is looking so green and ready to spring forth brilliantly.  Spring is just around the corner.
  • I dug up four or five shovelfuls of Mexican Sedum and moved them over to the bed next to the dining room window.  I planted them in front of my mystery bulbs.  
  • I dug up three groups of Strawberry Candy daylilies that were suffering under the Harlequin Glorybower and moved them to the same bed that I placed the sedum.  Now this bed has a large stand of oregano, two Kolkwitzia flowering shrubs, the mystery bulbs, two Johnson Amaryllis, daylilies, and sedum.  I might grow some morning glories on the picket fence that sits on one side of the flowerbed.           

No comments:

Post a Comment