Sunday, April 3, 2022

Time at the Farm April 2 - 3, 2022

 




This is Persian Berry bearded iris.  This variety is very, very reliable.  

I arrived on Saturday after our Airbnb guests left.  Bert played in a charity golf tournament and got to Burton about 5:00.

  • I planted 3 sets of 3 daylilies in the Star Garden.  I planted 3 Siloam Double Classic (double peachy) in between my Dwarf Flowering Almond shrubs.   I planted 3 Dancing on Air (spider type red and gold) in a dry part of the Star Garden.  And I planted 3 Always Afternoon (pink) in the big bed of the Star Garden.  The 3 Heavenly Angel Ice that I ordered to plant in Mom's Garden are on back order.
  • I planted some Colonial White (CW) verbena in the Star Garden.
  • I watered all the roses in pots in the Rose Garden.  Some of the roses I planted in pots are doing better than they ever have before despite being so early in the spring and just breaking dormancy.  Others are doing worse.  One died completely after the temperature dropped to 20 for several days last winters.  It is the only one that I didn't mulch.  That's the only reason I can think that of that caused it to die.
  • I pulled up Purple Phacelia and planted 2 CW verbena in the Rose Garden.
  • Weeded in the Rose Garden.
  • Weeded in the Vegetable Garden.
  • I fertilized the San Antonio Rose amaryllis in the Medicine Garden.  While I was doing that I noticed that my Stevia from last year had come back.  I had no idea it was a perennial.  I'm so surprised.
  • The big Mexican Buckeye is in full bloom.  The Snowball Viburnum looks real pretty.  Beautiful day. 
  • I spot watered in Mom's Garden.
  • I dug up some CW verbena growing in paths and put it in pots to give to Debra.  I dug some up and planted it in the Star Garden as well.
  • Weeded in the Star Garden.
  • I sowed some Polar Bear zinnia seeds (white) in the White Garden and in various places in the Rose Garden.
  •  Sunday.  Up early.  
  • I got my flame thrower and went out to the Small Prairie Restoration (SPR) to burn off some invasive annual grass that has taken hold.  I decided it was too dewy, and I needed to do this chore in the late afternoon after all the moisture burned off.  The process uses a lot less propane when the area is dry.
  • I filled the cadet 3 or 4 times with mulch and worked in the Star Garden.  I worked mostly in the Dining Room bed and the Harlequin Glorybower bed.  I scraped out all the leaves from around my iris and mulched.  I didn't use a lot of mulch, just enough to make the bed look pretty.  Iris don't like a lot of mulch sitting on their rhizomes.  Did lots of weeding.
  • I dumped shovelfuls of mulch here and there wherever I saw a problem area beginning.  
  • I watered in the dry parts of the Star Garden.
  • I planted the remainder of the flat of CW verbena, mostly in the Rose Garden.  
  • An armadillo got into the Rose Garden, I think I found where he got in.  He did a lot of damage, and I spent some time replanting plants that he turned up and smoothing soil.  I was pretty upset, but I think we solved the problem.
  • Debra came over, and I gave her the verbena I dug up and two starts of Heliopsis.
  • I planted 2 red Impatiens in the Shade Garden where I have red accents.
  • I worked in the SPR burning an area.  I'm a little nervous about doing this burning by myself with no training. The fire kept spreading in several areas, and I decided to stop.  I wasn't extremely nervous.  The fires were very small and creeping along slowly in a few spots.  I poured water on them.  I only burned about a 18 x 18 foot area.  But, I figured that was enough for the day.  I spread Indiangrass seed over the burned area and drove over it back and forth to mash in the seeds.  I spread an entire pound of seed over that small area - I'd better get some germination!
  • I sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden and the Star Garden.
  • I watered all my new plants in the Rose Garden with my watering can and placed all the sprinklers throughout.  
  • Headed home to Houston.  

No comments:

Post a Comment