Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Progress on my Malabar Spinach Vines September 9, 2020

 My Malabar spinach has grown past the top of my arbor and is reaching in every direction.  I need to straighten it up along the top.  I really like the red stems, very striking.  And it is sending out lots of flower buds that look like they will be pink flowers.  Can't wait to see what they look like.  I read that after the flowers go to seed the leaves will be bitter and not tasty.  I haven't tried to eat them, my goal was just to try to keep it alive through the summer.  That was easy!  It grew like a weed - and it was planted in gravel.  Apparently Malabar is a tender perennial, but the seeds will drop and sprout next year.  This experiment has been an extremely pleasant experience.  An edible vine that is attractive and easy to grow.  I'm sold!


Correction on 9.14.20

The little things that I thought were flower buds were actually the seeds forming.  They never opened into flowers.  Some of them have matured to the point that I now see they are seeds.  Fascinating!






No comments:

Post a Comment