Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Day at the Farm 10/16/10

Above are Valentine rose and Laura Bush petunias. How outrageous of me to plant red and purple together!




October is a perfect month in Texas. The weather is wonderful.


  • I spent quite a bit of time in the Vegetable Garden. I pulled up the last of the okra. I buried lots of grapefruit peel in the box where the okra was.

  • Fiddled around with the sprinklers again, fixed the one that wasn't working.

  • Watered the compost pile. There has been no rain for a long time.

  • Deadheaded the roses.

  • Cleaned up the Star Garden, cut away some plants that had gotten unruly, particularly the butterfly weed.

  • Planted High Scent Sweet Peas this weekend, and last weekend I planted some Princess Elizabeth Sweet Peas. Sweet Peas are very happy in our Texas winters. But they will expire as soon as the cool spring weather begins to turn warm. I planted lots of them last year, but the rabbits found them to be very delicious. They were more determined to eat them than I was to protect them so I didn't get a very good showing. This year I will beat the rabbits.
  • Helped my husband drag 18 feet cedar logs over to the dry creek bed. Our vehicle could only drag them up to a certain point, they had to be dragged the rest of the way. We had a bridge built over the creek bed with two pine logs for the underside supports, and one of them broke a few weeks ago. Pine is a useless wood. Anyway, we're re-building the bridge. 18 feet cedar logs are really, really heavy. I want to build a whimsical bridge, like a fairy princess bridge, for my granddaughters. I don't have any granddaughters, but I assume I will someday. I'm thinking pink. :-) Or lavender. My husband is not enthusiastic. Planking on the bottom and some shaped dowels for the bridge siding and some sparkly knobs abong the top of each of the dowels. All painted pink or purple. I wanted to paint the treehouse pink, but my husband nixed the idea. So: the bridge!
  • Spread some Snake Away in the Orchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment