Sunday, October 31, 2010

What's Blooming Now - White Mist Flower 10/31/10

White Mist Flower is a fall bloomer. It is very fragrant. I sat by mine for a very long time today and tried to photograph the butterflies in which it was engulfed. It was truly amazing. Interestingly, the large butterflies didn't seem very interested in the white mist flower, but the tiny ones were covering it. Every time I waved my hand over the plant a cloud of butterflies rose up and fluttered around. Fascinating! It's very hard to photograph butterflies, but I did the best I could.
I will never forget a very brief conversation I had with a lady wearing a very large sun hat and a pair of muddy jeans at the Antique Rose Emporium last year during their annual bulb festival. I was walking next to her as we left the lecture. We stopped at the same time to admire the White Mist Flower that was blooming along the path because it was alive with butterflies. I remarked, somewhat dismayed, at how large their White Mist Flower was - more of a shrub than a plant. "It grows much bigger than I expected," I told her, "I've planted mine in the wrong spot." "Don't we always?" she returned in such a jovial and matter-of-fact way. It was delivered as if it was self-evident - all gardeners are grand experimenters and mistakes are the essence of the journey of discovery. Now, when I realize my planting strategy was a mistake and something tall is in front of something small (or a myriad of other errors), mixed in with the frustration, I always have a little smile and think of gardeners: "Don't we always?"

There are a dozen insects on the plant in this picture, not very visible, unfortunately, because it's amusing.

This is White Mist Flower next to Curry Plant, and behind it is Snow Nymph Salvia that I am letting go to seed.

A sulphur butterfly sipping the nectar of a dianthus flower.


Not all butterflies are pretty. These little brown creatures are butterflies, and, although they are are bit homely, they contribute a lot to the frenetic activity in my gardens.


Pretty Gulf Fritillary has striking wings on both sides - bottom and top.

American Painted Lady Butterfly is distinguishable by the two eye spots on the undersides of the wings.
I don't know the name of the little butterfly in this picture. It is white with two tiny orange spots on its back wings.
These little fellows are in the skipper family.




1 comment:

  1. I love that story! And the butterfly pictures are beautiful. I hope we can get there next year when there are lots of butterflies and it's not too hot. I think Beckett would love it.

    ReplyDelete