Sunday, October 17, 2010

What do Nematodes Look Like?

Both of these okra plants have nematodes, but the one on the right has an infestation that is much worse than the one on the left. The root system of the plant on the left is thicker than it would normally be if it was healthy. And it is obvious that the root system of the plant on the right is totally unhealthy and stunted. Nematodes are not visible to the eye. And you cannot know for certain they have invaded the roots of your plants until you pull up the plant and see the bulbous and knobby roots. But you can have a pretty good idea. If you're growing vegetables and you're doing everything right: full sun exposure, regular watering schedule, fertilizer - and the plants are still not thriving, they probably have nematodes.
The most interesting thing about these two plants from my perspective is where they were planted in my vegetable garden. I had buried some orange peels near the plant above. The plant below was at the far end of the garden, and I had not buried any citrus peels near it. I see this as clear evidence that citrus peel and pith really works! It deters nematodes. I am hoping that if I continue a regimen of burying citrus peels I can rid my garden of the nasty little things.













No comments:

Post a Comment