Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 10/23-24/10


I got to the farm middle of the day on Saturday.


  • Drove around collecting cow manure from the neighbors pastures. I sneak over the fence and scoop it up with my shovel and toss it into the back of the cub cadet. Then I dump it into the compost pile. I have been taking my Houston neighbors' bags of grass clippings and bringing them to the farm. I have big piles of grass clippings in my compost bins. Now all I need is the huge fall leaf drop. I'll grind up the leaves and add them to the grass clippings.

  • Buried orange peels in the boxes of the Vegetable Garden including my asparagus.

  • Sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden. Dalhberg Daisy is springing up everywhere in all the paths. As pretty as it is I can't let it go. It will look really messy.

  • I spread all my poppy seeds (I have bags of them!) - in the Wave Garden, the cul de sac, around the Rose Garden, and several of the "points" in the Star Garden, and the front flowerbeds.

  • I spread some of the seeds I ordered from Wildseed Farms.

  • Raked the paths in the Shade Garden.

  • Put out some suet for the birds.

  • Planted some Sweet Peas - Starry Night and Wedding Blush - around the arbor at the entrance to the Orchard.

  • Dug up some daisies growing in the yard and planted them in the Long Border. I'm not sure what they are, but they grow wild in my yard. The flowers look like Shasta Daisies. Really nice flowers. They bloom in the spring. I keep meaning to look them up, keep forgetting.

  • Deadheaded my zinnias.

  • Repaired chicken wire I have covering one of the flowerbeds behind the house. The armadillos are not deterred unfortunately. I need better stakes.

  • Fertilized my Copper Canyon Daisies with fish emulsion. They look like they might bloom after all. They were pretty water stressed this summer, and I didn't think they were going to bloom. I saw some buds on them today so I decided to give them a reward!

  • Watered some areas.

  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment