Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 10/01-03/10

This is pretty Dame de Coeur rose, introduced in 1958.



This has been another pristine weekend, the sort of weather that is perfectly beautiful. The smell in the air is wonderful - fresh and fragrant.


  • I spent a good part of Saturday repairing the Bulb Garden. After all the work I did the weekend before, the armadillos dug under the chicken wire and dug up all my bulbs. I didn't use long enough stakes. I'm at my wits end.

  • Sprayed the roses for the dreaded blackspot early Sunday morning before the bees were stirring.

  • Put more labels on plants.

  • Admired the Rose Garden. Everything is blooming!

  • Cut back the spent goldenrod in the Star Garden.
  • Filled some holes - one under a Big Daddy Hydrangea that an armadillo dug out, the other was created by the landscapers when they curved an old bed to meet a new one.
  • Added several bags of grass clippings to the compost pile and turned it over.
  • Washed the furniture around the pool.
  • Planted three blueberry shrubs in The Orchard - two Brightwells and one Tifblue. I planted them in holes filled with peat moss. They like peat moss.
  • Thinned out the African Hostas in the Shade Garden and planted the extra bulbs in one of my new shady flowerbeds. I had about 50 bulbs after I separate them.
  • Swept and mopped the kitchen and dining room.
  • Watched a praying mantis in the Rose Garden for a long time.
  • Saw a big lizard catch a gigantic cricket and eat him. Nature - kill or be killed.
  • Drove around the beautiful woods.
  • Fertilized various plants.
  • Watered shrubs around the Greenhouse Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment